Saturday, March 05, 2005

K's gone out, the monkeys asleep for a while and I can turn my attention to the blog. A couple of things have been rumbling around my subconsious recently, not least the riot at an ikea store a month or so ago. You can catch up with this story at the ever wonderful BBC site. Seems that ikea slightly underestimated the amount of interest in cheap sofas and cut price garlic grushers, causing a riot when their new London store opened. I caught this up in the Weekly Guardian which contains a quote from a witness, saying 'people were hitting each other with wooden mallets'. Where did they get the mallets from? Do you pick them up with the blue bags, or are they hidden in the store to reward the real bargain hunters - we should be told.

I stumbled out for a run today, slipping and sliding down the pavements to the now snow free cycle paths, all part of my training for the broloppet, which you can read about here. This little jaunt takes us from the start of the bridge, pretty much in Denmark, all the way over the öresund, to finish in the sports stadium in Malmö. A half marathon no less. I've got no real aspirations of a killer time, I think the training would destroy my knees (pretty much junked from runs over Dartmoor and jumping over things when I was a drunken student) but I'm looking for something under 2 hours - we'll see. The pictures of last years run over the bridge are very inspiring.

Weather: Sunny and below freezing.
Scenes which never made it to the final cut: "Are you listening to me, or looking at the woman in the red dress? Take another look" "Oh fuck, I've been and shat me self"
Animal: The big black pig, again, though it seems to have put on weight.
Films: Training Day, with Denzel and Ethan - gur (gritty urban realism) which was way good and Resident Evil: Apocalypse which if the first one was a piece of poo, this was the dead (or Zombified) dogs arse if fell from. The first movie was actually okay, but this was just so appalling that I actually came close to fast forwarding through to the end, I've seen much much better episodes of Buffy.
Music soon to be bought: Moneybrother, partly 'cos the one song I heard was cool and partly because the lead singer bears more than a striking resemblence to Gary Oldmen.

No comments: