Monday, July 19, 2004

If you've come looking for inspiration and wit then, by god, you've come to wrong place - actually, if you ever came here for that then you really need to surf some more. I'm tired, by brain is fuzz, I've been working on the marketing for a conference for the WHOLE DAY! Crikey, its almost like working for a living, not used to it at all - and I'm feeling out of sorts because it was raining this morning and I could not get out roller blading before work, hummmpfh. Actually, it was the Captain who suggested that we roam through no man's land during a lull in the shelling. So, with our hearts deep in our boots we slithered over the earthern wall into the grey light of the dawn. The sky was a bruised blue colour and, high above, we could see the faint contrails of high altitude cruise missiles. The ground beyond the trench was ripped and torn, the earth splayed and torn by the bombardment of the last few days. The soldiers who had fought and fallen over this nondescript were evident, though none seemed to be intact, eyes, ribs and guts all exposed to the light and the crows. Billy, his face even more sallow than usual took the lead and I crawled after him, my only view the mud caked soles of his boots as we advanced, slowly, towards the enemy trench. After what seemed hours, but in reality was no more than twenty minutes we rolled down the edge of a huge shell hole and paused for breath. The base of the hole held a small puddle, and curiously, a perfectly intact flower floated on its oily surface its white petals glaring bright compared to the dun colour of the abused and burnt ground. There were five of us, Billy the squad leader, Cromwell, Mack, the new guy and myself. We huddled together at the base of the shell hole and then, as Billy dropped his clenched fist down, we stumbled to our feet and charged recklessly over the top of the enemy trench. The fear was always there, the blood thundereing in my veins and a feeling like my guts were made of liquid. My rifle felt like it weighed a hundred kilos and I tried to hunch down behind my helmet and body armour. We floundered over the last few metres of mud and dropped into the gaping blackness of the trench like demons returning to hell. It was empty, it always had been.

music: StarWars - The Imperial March. Again, why is it that with 200 odd tracks currently on the real player it insists on playing Coldplay again, good taste I agree but a little boring....lets see, , Meja - intimacy....possibly better.
weather: 21 and sunny.

hell, its monday - you're bored, I'm bored, even the floors board, why not waste a few minutes with this.......kinda like Jet Set Willy, if you excuse the pun........Supershag Land

No comments: