Monday, June 20, 2005

Seagulls cries fill the air and the suns last orange rays are reflected against Turning Torso's flanks - I'm horribly aware that these are the longest days and we will soon be moving towards winter with ever increasing momentum. Midsommer - this weekend!

Race Day. What an experience. There was about 3 000 odd people, when you include the relay runners as well and there was a mass convoy of buses to get us all out to the start line, on the Danish side. We piled out of the buss on the articifical island of Pepparholm which was scattered with people pissing everywhere. I got as far up the already crowded slip road as was polite and then could hear, but not see, the elite start. We then shuffled up the slip road waiting for our turn to be herded into the start area. Three groups went ahead of us, and then it was our turn, some 100 or so people standing behind the line. The gun went off and a faint cheer answered it before we plodded off. Before, in races, I've tended to stay with the group and then accelerate towards the end. This time, with my carefully thought out strategy, I just ran like hell from the start. The bridge seemed to go on for ever, and was quite lonely, but once we were in town (about 11 kms later) we were cheered on by the Malmöians - which was nice. In the last 1km K, E and K's parents cheered me on which enabled me to keep my flaggin pace up. So - 1 hr 33mins 58 secs, 109 out of 2533 runners - not bad at all! My legs ache like hell but it was so worth it! The suffering I endured between km's 14 - 18 (and pretty much all the others come to think of it!) has faded now and all I'm thinking about is next year - but maybe with the Stockholm marathon as well!

Off to Båstad for the next few days as the floors being sanded and reoiled where the previous owner's dog's (which was presumably fed a diet of toxic waste, stale beer and quick lime) wee has left strange dark stains on the floor - its being sorted on their dollar, which is cool, but we have to vacate due to the use of dust, solvent and black magic.

No comments: