Thursday, January 20, 2005

let me see now, top 10 science fiction movie moments of all time (for me, now and almost certainly to be different on any other day), this actually started as 5, made it to 8 without any bother and then ended nicely at 10.

1. The wierd hotel room scene at the end of 2001 - totally freaked me out the first time I saw it (in fact, made me flee upstairs to hide - I was about 10 incidently).

2. Lukes fight with Darth Vader, having just discovered that the Dark Lord of the Sith is in fact his dad, the plunge down the shaft and then the hanging off the antenna before being rescued by the Millenium Falcon. This was immense when I was kid, as this was the first of the Star Wars movies I saw at the cinema 'Vader's his father, but, but, but.....'. Nothing would ever be the same again.

3. The dojo scene in the first matrix movie. I know the shoot out in the office lobby and the fight between Neo and Agent Smith are both remarkable but the dojo training scene was just so good, classic lines ('do you think that's air you're breathing, hmmm), great moves and choreography.

4. The last scene of Silent Running, fantastic early '70s movie with a strong environmental message. The image, of the remaining drone tending the trees and plants as the ship drifts into space is remarkable.

5. Blade Runner - c'mon the end is just one of greatest cinematic moments of all time. Rutger Hauer improvising his Dutch ass off to come up with inspired lines 'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die'...fucking great.

6. Alien - My abiding memory of this movie is not, surprisingly the chest burster scene, but rather the opening shot of the computers chatting away with each other in the deserted bridge, the noise of the text as it flowed across the screen and then the nicely edited shot of the crew waking up - fucking great. Like Bladerunner a movie which has not aged significantly.

7. Terminator 2. The last punch up between the terminators, totally brutal and very industrial.

8. The Day the Earth Caught Fire - '60s movie where the chance occurrence of two nuclear tests throws the Earth towards the sun. The fantastically sweaty and a splendid cliffhanger ending - please please hide this film from a reimagining - caught me my surprise when I first saw it. Actually I think I mentioned this in a earlier entry, something about Janet Munroe and her breasts I think.

9. Pitch Black - the scene where the guys light illuminates the circle of monsters surrounding him. Choice.

10. They Live - simply for the line "I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum". Which incidently was, like the scene from Bladerunner, improvised.

Considered: Close Encounters of the Third Kind, ET, Abyss, Predator, The Thing, Planet of the Apes, Bad Taste, Mad Max, and more......

Music: Tom Waits, Kill Bill 1 Soundtrack and Morcheeba
Water: Its wet and composed of hydrogen and oxygen
Funny old thing: When I was looking for stuff on Blade Runner I actually typed in 'Bladder Runner', which I guess would be a movie about incontinence

No comments: