Wednesday, November 01, 2006

In view of the recently released, and apparently, shite Nic Cage remake I actually got around to watching The Wicker Man (1973) (it took two evenings, and one of these involved watching it with the sound off and subtitles on (not because of the children incidently, K had her book circle chums around and I was not keen for them to overhear me listening to a very cheesy folk rock soundtrack)...anways, it was splendid, in the words of Ewar Woowar "oh God! oh Jesus Christ!". I note in the forum on this in the IMDB that a few folks were discussing the fact that Sgt. Howie goes without a fight - to me the point was that the paganism had won, and he was resigned to his fate as martyr. I really have to sort myself out and try and catch up on the new style of brutalist horror (i.e. Hostel, Hills have Eyes remake, severence etc) but I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to the nasty stuff - the beginning of the Dawn of the Dead remake still haunts me now, Descent scared the shit out of me and when me and my mate M watched 28 days later we had to stop halfway through and have a nice cup of tea to cope with the shock.

You know you've been in Sweden for a while when #34: The use of 'oy' or 'oy oy oy'. For example, should you drop a pen, observe someone stumble (but not fall) or note an otherwise near nasty accident you say 'oy'. However, if its more serious (say, fumbling then dropping someones child, or being told that the petri dish you just licked did in fact contain a culture of very virulent botulism) then the use of 'oy oy oy' is considered more appropriate. Note that, should you use this in the presence of any greek orthodox jews they may think you are taking the piss and beat you with their payoths.

No comments: